Sunday, May 3, 2009

Mother's Day WIP 1

With Mother's Day right around the corner, for my next portfolio piece, I decided to center my idea around "spending time with Mom". I have fond memories of my mom teaching me how to make lemon meringue pies and chocolate chip cookies; working together to make something delicious.

I had a couple different ideas for how to approach the concept:In the first two, the kids are baking cookies (and making a giant mother's day card in #2) to surprise Mom. I think these are fun ideas, but then I remembered that part of the purpose of this piece was to demonstrate my ability to draw an adult figure in addition to the kids.

In #3, the little girl is breaking an egg into the bowl while the younger brother "supervises", and mom offers guidance (and the puppy waits for treats).

Finally, in #4, mom assists the girl in putting the cookies in the oven while younger brother eats/drips cookie dough in the background.

I've decided to go with 4 since it has a lot of fun elements to it.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the time to finish it before Mother's Day. But we shall see! After all, I didn't expect to finish Polar Pal today. It all depends on my comic schedule. Stay tuned for more progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment