Monday, June 29, 2009

Speed Painting - Charly the Shih Tzu


I was thinking about how it's a good idea for artists to practice painting techniques by doing speed paintings from photos or life.

When I'm painting illustrations, I'll sometimes have photos to help with the general feel, but I rarely have direct reference, so shadows and highlights come from my preexisting knowledge. This is certainly limiting my artistic growth, so I'm going to take my own advice and start doing some small practice paintings to improve my speed and technique.

Tonight, I intended to practice foliage but I came across this cute photo I'd taken of Charly, Natalia's adorable Shih Tzu, and decided to paint him instead. :)

Photoshop CS3, 45 minutes.

Watch me create the piece on youtube:

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing! You've done an amazing job at capturing him with his one and only obsession, the tennis ball! I love it! I love it! I love it!! If this is speed paiting I don't even want to know what you would've done with more time. You are truly talented. Charly sends a: woof! woof! and big slobber on the cheek! -Natalia

    ReplyDelete